2020 Symposia Series: Themes and Topics
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (CTSFW)—Early bird registration is still open for the 2020 Symposia Series at Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne (CTSFW), holding at $150 through November 30. It will increase on December 1 to the regular price of $180. The full series takes place January 21–24, 2020, covering the following topics and featuring lectures on:
The 35th Annual Symposium on Exegetical Theology
The Cross, the Atonement, and the Wrath of God
- Substitutionary Atonement in the Joseph Narratives
- Reckoned Among the Lawless: The Gospel as the Law’s Fulfillment
- Sacrificial Atonement and the Wrath of God in the Light of the Old Testament
- Penal Sacrificial Atonement?
- The Cross, the Atonement, and the Eucharist in Luke and Hebrews
- Christ Under God’s Wrath: A Pauline Perspective
The 43rd Annual Symposium on the Lutheran Confessions
Ecclesiology: Locating Confessional Boundaries
- Hermann Sasse: A Stand Alone Lutheran
- Synod or Sect: Partisanship in the LCMS
- A Confessional Lutheran Church in a Lutheran Environment
- Johann Georg Hamann as an Advocate for Classical Lutheran Theology to its Unenlightened Critics
- Trinity as Doctrine on Which the Church Stands
- Benedict XVI: Is He Really Catholic?
- Confessional Provinces: Church or Not?
- Martin Franzmann: Theologian in Between
The call for papers for the exegetical symposium (not to exceed 25 minutes for presentation on Wednesday, January 22) is still open. Email a paragraph abstract proposal to Hayden.Folks@ctsfw.edu by December 1. Additional symposia events include the King’s Men alumni game, panel discussions, and special worship services and music. A ticket for the banquet on Thursday evening costs an additional $40.
To register and to learn about this year’s speakers, go to www.ctsfw.edu/Symposia. If you are a pastor, you may also consider attending the Lenten Preaching Workshop that takes place Monday of that week, on January 20. Register for the workshop on “Christ’s Work of Creation and Re-Creation” at www.ctsfw.edu/PreachingWorkshop.
For any additional questions or concerns, email Symposia@ctsfw.edu or call (260) 452-2204.