Scroll to top Scroll to bottom


Concordia Theological Seminary – Fort Wayne, IN


Concordia Theological Seminary – Fort Wayne, IN

Studying as an F-1 Student

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

SEVIS came online in the summer of 2002. It converted what was a complicated manual procedure into a centralized, web-based, automated process. SEVIS improves data collection and reporting, enhances customer service, facilitates compliance with regulations, and helps Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) better monitor school and exchange programs. SEVIS grew from a pilot program known as the Coordinated Interagency Partnership Regulating International Students (CIPRIS). The former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) developed CIPRIS in partnership with the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (formerly the United States Information Agency), the Department of Education, and members of the educational and exchange program community. This multiagency effort then incorporated information obtained from the CIPRIS pilot program into what we know today as SEVIS. See SEVP and SEVIS website.

F-1 Student Status

Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne (CTSFW), Indiana, issues F-1 student visas as well as F2 visas for dependents of the F-1 student.

F-1 student status will allow you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are properly registered as a full-time student and comply with other reporting requirements. To maintain full-time status you must take at least 12 credits for the Master of Divinity (MDiv) Program. Nine credits for MA or MA in Pastoral Studies constitutes full-time status. Six credits for the PhD in Missiology, PhD in Theological Studies, Master of Sacred Theology (STM), or Doctor of Ministry (DMin) constitutes full-time status.

Please see the Reduced Course Load (RCL) page on Homeland Security’s “Study in the States” webpage for details Reduced Course Load. If you feel that you are eligible for an RCL, you must speak with a DSO before making the request.

For more information on F-1 student visas, go to Process and Rules for Studying in the States.

Dependents (F-2)

Dependents of F-1 students are permitted to join you in the U.S., provided you demonstrate that there are sufficient financial resources for their support. A spouse and/or dependent children of an F-1 student will hold F-2 status and may not work in the U.S., but are allowed to study.

SEVIS Fee Instructions

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Department requires that a SEVIS I-901 Fee of $350 be paid by non-immigrants seeking an F-1 student visa. This fee should be paid online prior to your request for a visa interview from the U.S. Consulate or Embassy (see Pay I-901 fee). This fee also applies any time that a student has been out of the country for more than five months as an F-1 student. Additional fees will be required for obtaining a visa. Please check with your embassy or consulate to confirm the amount of the fees to be paid.

How to Prepare for Your Visa Appointment

Cost of Attendance

  1. CTSFW tuition, institutional fees, room/board, health insurance, and books/supplies costs are issued annually by the Financial Aid Office and can be viewed by selecting your program Cost of Attendance.
  2. The cost of health insurance is reported annually by the Dean of Students Office (see Health Insurance information).
    NOTE: Students are required to maintain health insurance. The spouse/dependents may purchase coverage through CTSFW. Students and dependents that are not born in the U.S. are NOT allowed any government assistance, so they do not qualify for any federal or state aid programs.
  3. Airfare amounts will vary depending upon the country from which the student is traveling as well as the time of year for the desired travel. If the student wishes, he/she may want to go home over the Christmas break. Please check with a DSO for questions regarding travel.