M.Div. Admission Process
The process for application and admission to Concordia Theological Seminary (CTSFW), Fort Wayne, normally takes six to 12 months prior to enrollment. An applicant must submit the following documents for the admission process:
- An application for admission to the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree program. (Apply online)
- A recommendation from the applicant’s pastor (form provided with application)
- Four personal recommendations (forms provided with application)
- Applicants who are attending or who have graduated within the last five years from any of the Concordia institutions should request a letter of recommendation from the president of the particular Concordia College or Concordia University.
- Applicants should arrange to have official transcripts sent to the Admission Office by the Registrar of the college(s) they have attended.
- Applicants should contact their District President to schedule the district interview. It is the responsibility of the District Interview Committee to arrange this interview. The results of the interview will be forwarded to the Seminary’s Admission Office.
- Applicants whose undergraduate cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) is below 2.75 are required to complete the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test and have the scores forwarded to the Seminary for consideration as part of their application for admission. Those applicants who already have a master’s, doctorate or equivalent degree are not required to take the GRE. GRE test scores beyond five years will not be accepted. Information can be obtained from the Admission Office or at any college Registrar’s Office. The GRE is also available by computer at many locations.
- Applicants are required to undergo a criminal background check prior to admission. Protect My Ministry, an agency contracted by the LCMS, will be used. The Admission Office will submit this on the applicant’s behalf. The applicant will be required to sign a waiver release.
- Applicants will complete and return the Confirmation of Admission form after a letter of acceptance is received. Confirming the offer of admission indicates the intention to enroll at CTSFW for the term you were admitted. Accepting your admission allows the Seminary to prepare more effectively for your arrival.
M.Div. Admission Requirements
- Entering students are required to have completed a bachelor’s degree or the educational equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university and have attained a minimum grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.25.
- Applicants must be a member of a congregation of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), ordinarily for a minimum of two years prior to admission. If married, their wife must also be a member of an LCMS congregation.
- Because of the doctrinal position of the LCMS, all candidates for the Master of Divinity degree must be male. If you are a woman and would like to enter full-time service in the Church, consider one of our Diakonal programs.
Before Classes Begin
There are a few things we expect you to know before you begin your classes. For example, we expect that you’re going to know the basic flow of the Bible and Christian doctrine. Because the Bible is so incredibly important, we also expect that you’re going to have some basic skills in Greek. You can demonstrate your knowledge through the Entry Level Competency Exams or by taking our pre-seminary courses.