Symposia Series on the Communion of Saints and Morality
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (CTSFW)— From January 16–19, 2018, the annual Symposia Series will take place at Concordia Theological Seminary (CTSFW), Fort Wayne. The 33rd Annual Symposium on Exegetical Theology, January 16 and 17, will present on topics related to “The Communion of Saints: Called Into Fellowship.” Immediately following, January 17–19, the 41st Annual Symposium on the Lutheran Confessions will focus on “Confessional Lutheran Confessions on the Moral Life.” Attendees can expect such presentations as “The Mystery of the Communion of Saints” and “Incarnational-Christological Definitions of the Church” during the Symposium on Exegetical Theology. The Symposium on The Lutheran Confessions will focus more on the Church and society, covering topics like euthanasia, modern sexuality and other ethical tensions in today’s world.
In addition to members of the CTSFW faculty, the following theologians are scheduled to present for this year’s Symposia Series:
- Andrew T. Abernethy, associate professor of Old Testament Studies, Wheaton College
- Albert B. Collver III, director of Church Relations and assistant to President of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, St. Louis, Missouri
- Timo Laato, senior lecturer in New Testament Exegesis, Lutheran School of Theology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Gilbert C. Meilaender, senior research professor, Valparaiso University
- Chaplain (Colonel) Jonathan E. Shaw, director of Operation, U.S. Army Chaplain Corps, Pentagon
A Lenten Preaching Workshop will precede the Symposia Series on Monday, January 15. Prof. Jeffrey H. Pulse, associate professor of Exegetical Theology at CTSFW, will present on “A Return from Exile: A Lenten Journey,” which connects the 40 days of Lent to the 40 years the Israelites wandered the wilderness before entering the Promised Land.
To register online for either event, or to find more information about the preaching workshop, Symposia speakers or schedule, go to www.ctsfw.edu/Symposia. The deadline for registration is January 9, 2018. For any additional questions or concerns, email Symposia@ctsfw.edu or call 260.452.2204.